BPP/Sciences Po Alumni win LSESU Open
The team Young, Scrappy and Hungry (Joe Mayes, Steven Rajavinothan) has won the Open final of the LSESU Open 2017 from Opening Government on the motion “This house believes that history curriculums should portray in an overwhelmingly negative light all celebrated historical figures responsible for racially motivated violence. E.g. Winston Churchill, Oliver Cromwell, Charles De Gaulle.” They defeated the teams ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (Joe Roussos, Tim Mooney) in Opening Opposition, Almodovar Film Club (Annie Williamson, Toby Tricks) in Closing Government and Rake unknown in emptier festival (6,4) (Sam van Elk, Darion Hotan) in Closing Opposition. The final was judged by Sharmila Parmanand (chair), Michael Dunn Goekjian, Kit Mercer, Gavin O’Leary, Gavin Tucker, Andrew Seow and Brynne Guthrie.
The ESL final was won by #SteenAlive (Gigi Gil, Floris Holstege) in Opening Government against the Opening Opposition Finland A (Milla Huuskonen, Joona Suhonen), Closing Government Tartu A (Tanel Mütt, Carl-Martin Keerberg) and Closing Opposition Tilbury House (Agnes Putry, Leonard Münstermann) on the motion “THW give the power to make decisions over criminal justice (e.g.: what actions to make illegal, limits/guidelines on length and type of sentences) from legislatures to an independent box of experts.” The judge panel consisted of James Hardy (chair), Hannah Tyndall, Kit Mercer, Claudia Hyde and Saskia Neibig.
1. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (Joe Roussos, Tim Mooney) 13 P.
2. Young, Scrappy and Hungry (Joe Mayes, Steven Rajavinothan) 13 P.
3. Rake unknown in emptier festival (6,4) (Sam van Elk, Darion Hotan) 12 P.
4. Almodovar Film Club (Annie Williamson, Toby Tricks) 12 P.
5. Make ULU Great Again! (Alex Harris, Fred Cowell) 12 P.
6. Matthew why are you making me do this (Matt Hazell, Rebecca Meredith) 11 P.
7. Floris’s Mum (George Clay, Roel Becker) 11 P.
8. Make Warwick Great Again (Richard Hopps, Andrew Ford) 11 P.
9. Arranged Marriage B (Muhammad Asadullah Khan, John Papantoniou) 10 P.
10. To the race! (Elliot Pallot, Edward Mancey) 10 P.
11. It’s Great to Feel Young (Eoin MacLachlan, Clíodhna Ní Chéileachair) 10 P.
12. Overshadowed by Rory Flynn (Katie Heard, Lucia Arcre) 10 P.
13. The Abby Lee Debate Company (ALDC) (Emma Lucas, Matt Hankin) 10 P.
14. #MDG-A Make debating great again (Bailey Reid, Daniel Berman) 10 P.
15. Kazan Agricultural College B (Raffy Marshall, Harish Natarajan) 10 P.
16. Treacherous Alumni A (Daniel Bramble, Jonathan Kay) 10 P.
1. #SteenAlive (Gigi Gil, Floris Holstege) 9 P.
2. Berlin Molly (Christof Kebschull, Elena Mller) 9 P.
3. We sold stuff to get here (Alexandru Gradinaru, Antonia Sandu) 9 P.
4. Tartu A (Tanel Mütt, Carl-Martin Keerberg) 8 P.
5. Have you tried Communism? (Ivan Velentey, Katharin Tai) 8 P.
6. Tilbury House (Agnes Putry, Leonard Münstermann) 8 P.
7. Finland A (Milla Huuskonen, Joona Suhonen) 8 P.
8. Maastricht Axis Powers (Florentine Friedrich, Pietro Pomella)
The breaking judges were Hamish Baker, Jamie Capp, Gordon Cheung, Imogen Edwards-Lawrence, Razzaq Fazail, Brynne Guthrie, James Hardy, Claudia Hyde, Caleb Langkamp, Valerie Lim, Sam Qiyu Lin, Nicole Liu, Aaron Luke, Freddie Marshall, Ciara Mitchell, Saskia Neibig, Gavin O’Leary, Sophia Rodriguez, Andrew Seow, Gavin Tucker, Hannah Tyndall and Raluca Vacaru as well as the chief adjudicators Sharmila Parmanand, Michael Dunn Goekjian and Kit Mercer.
Best speaker of the tournament was Sam van Elk with an average of 84.6 speaker points.
Emma Lucas was the best speaker in the ESL category with an average of 81.0 speaker points.
R1: THW require sperm / egg donors to make their identities available to children born as a result of their donation.
R2: THW implement a global tax on wealth.
R3: Infotext: As we are sure you are aware, the political context in the basque country is one of ethnic strife and historical viloence.
Athletic Bilbao is a professional football club, based in Bilbao. It is one of the most successful clubs in Spain and the most successful club in the Basque Country. Since 1912, Athletic Bilbao have operated a Cantera recruitment policy whereby the club will only sign players who were born or raised in the Basque Country, or who learned their football skills at a basque club.
THBT Athletic Bilbao should abandon their Basque-only recruitment policy.
R4: Infotext: The Responsibility to Protect is a global political commitment which was endorsed by all member states of the United Nations at the 2005 World Summit to prevent genocide, war crimes, ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity.
THW allow citizens to sue to their governments for failure to implement R2P in other countries, in contexts where they had the ability to do so.
R5: THR the UK Government’s decision to invite Donald Trump on a state visit to the UK.
QF: THBT the French Socialist Party should immediately withdraw from the upcoming presidential election and endorse Macron.
SF: THB Vladimir Putin has been good for Russia.
F: THBT history curriculums should portray in an overwhelmingly negative light all celebrated historical figures responsible for racially motivated violence. E.g. Winston Churchill, Oliver Cromwell, Charles De Gaulle.
ESL SF: THBT the continued development of artificial intelligence will do more harm than good.
ESL F: THW give the power to make decisions over criminal justice (e.g.: what actions to make illegal, limits/guidelines on length and type of sentences) from legislatures to an independent box of experts.