UCD/Cambridge win Glasgow Ancients, UCD L&H and GUU win Glasgow Women’s
The team Iconic Misandry (Clíodhna Ní Chéileachair, Srishti Krishnamoorthy-Cavell; UCD/Cambridge) was victorious in the final on the motion “THW grant legal personhood to major ecological entities (eg. the Amazon rainforest, the Great Barrier Reef etc.).” They won as Closing Government over 2 indy 2ref: edinburgh drift (Oskar Avery, Chris Paschali; Newcastle) in Opening Government, My teammate didn’t want any puns, but Im feeling quite ADAM-ant (Adam Stairs, Aodhan Peelo, UCD) in Opening Opposition and Already Broke (Up) (Lucia Arce, Jure Hederih; Sheffield/Oxford) in Closing Opposition.
The Final was judged by Eilidh McCreath in chair together with Nicola Harvey, Nishith Hegde, Doug Jack, Elliot Porter, Méabh McMahon, Camilo Ruiz, and Nick Zervoudis.
The Pro-Am final was won by Edinburgh Rash and rationality (Anita Carroll, Pietro Pomella). They debated against Edinburgh Fried and credulous (Dimitri Pollard, Wan Adzhar Faiq Bin Adzlan), Durham Series of unfortunate extension (George Goddard, Jai Khajuria) and St. Andrews Spud (Louise Carle, Conor Tully) with the motion being “THBT the NAACP should refuse donations from large corporations that do not actively further African American liberation”.
The Glasgow Women’s final was won by Doug’s better halves (Erin Kyle, Juliette Barnes; Glasgow/UCD L&H) in Opening Government. They debated against Mannsfield Snark (Maddy Churchhouse, Kerrie Danaher; Edinburgh) in Opening Opposition, Nasty Women (Fiona Brittle, Leanne Hosie; Strathclyde/Aberdeen) in Closing Government and Random Oxford fresher, don’t forget the speaks bump (Clíodhna Ní Chéileachair & Ella McLoughlin, UCD) on the motion “When a dominant political party consistently achieves majorities with weak opposition, THW break up that dominant political party e.g. South African ANC and the UK conservative party”.
Clíodhna Ní Chéileachair was best speaker of both Glasgow Ancients (83 speaker points average) and Glasgow Women’s (82.33 speaker points average).
Best novice speaker was Felix Culas from Durham with an average of 76.4 speaker points.
Lucia Arce was best ESL speaker at Glasgow Ancients with an average of 81.3 speaker points.
CAs of Ancients were Nishith Hegde, Eoin MacLachlan and Kez Exley while Lucy Murphy and Hannah Tyndall CAed the women’s tournament.
The tournaments was convened by Doug Jack, Eilidh Sheach and Nóemie Katerina Gauthier with the Glasgow University Union with Skye Brettell and Ailsa Jones functioning as equity officers.
- Iconic Misandry (Clíodhna Ní Chéileachair, Srishti Krishnamoorthy-Cavell) – 14 Pts.
- LSE (Hannah Tyndall, Razzaq Fazail) – 12 Pts.
- We love Hannah (in different ways) (Daniel Bramble, Gavin O’Leary; LSE) – 11Pts.
- 2 indy 2ref: edinburgh drift (Oskar Avery, Chris Paschali; Newcastle) – 11 Pts.
- Pepsi presents global marxist revolution. you have nothing to lose but your thirst. (Michael Coleman, Aishling Kinsella; UCD) – 11 Pts.
- Already Broke (Up) (Lucia Arce, Jure Hederih) – 10 Pts.
- My teammate didn’t want any puns, but Im feeling quite ADAM-ant (Adam Stairs, Aodhan Peelo) – 10 Pts.
- Shrug Emoji (Alan Hickey, Juliette Barnes; UCD) – 10 Pts.
- Edinburgh Rash and rationality (Anita Carroll, Pietro Pomella)
- Edinburgh Fried and credulous (Dimitri Pollard, Wan Adzhar Faiq Bin Adzlan)
- Durham Series of unfortunate extension (George Goddard, Jai Khajuria)
- St. Andrews Spud (Louise Carle, Conor Tully)
- Complex Intersection of Privilege and Opression (Srishti Krishnamoorthy-Cavell, Siobhan Ní Conghaile; Cambridge/UCD) – 8 Pts.
- Random Oxford fresher, don’t forget the speaks bump (CliodhnaNí Chéileachair and Ella Mc Loughlin) – 7 Pts.
- Doug’s better halves (Erin Kyle, Glasgow and Juliette Barnes, UCD L&H) – 7 Pts.
- Nasty Women (Fiona Brittle, Strathclyde and Leanne Hosie, Aberdeen) – 7 Pts.
- York (Jane Booth and Mehrunnisa Hamid) – 6 Pts.
- Streichholzschächtelchen (Finia Kuhlmann and Laura Farley) – 6 Pts.
- Newtons 3 laws, which one would you fuck, marry, kill (Aishling Kinsella and Richeal Ni Laoghaire, UCD) – 5 Pts.
- AGS Minibus Survivors (Eilidh McCreath, Edinburgh and Maura Buchanan, Aberdeen) – 5 Pts.
- Mansfield Snark (Maddy Churchhouse & Kerrie Danaher, Edinburgh) – 5 Pts.
Unfortunately, the fifth-breaking team York had to leave before the semi-finals which allowed Mansfield Snark to break.
Dee Courtney, Julie Davis, Kez Exley, Ruairidh Ferguson, Noémie Gauthier, Nicola Harvey, Nish Hegde, Douglas Jack, Christine Jiang, Noah Kidron-Style, Erin Kyle, Eoin MacLachlan, Eilidh McCreath, Camilo Ruiz, Abigail van Schalkwyk, Nick Zervoudis
Rd 1: Info-Slide: An eternity clause is an element of a constitution, such as the status of the state as a democracy, which cannot be amended through any means.
THS the use of Eternity Clauses.
Rd 2: THBT the feminist movement should focus campaigns on the harms of gender roles to all genders, as opposed to the relative disadvantage of women, transgender and non-binary individuals in comparison to men
Rd 3: Info Slide: Moral relativism accepts context as a relevant factor in morality, such as specific sets of “cultural” or “religious” values. For example, the 1993 Bangkok Declaration, signed by Asian countries, subscribes to a set of human rights based on “Asian values”, prioritising economic development over social freedom. The 1990 Cairo Declaration, signed by Muslim-majority countries establish guidelines for human rights based on “Islamic values”. Moral relativism is often contrasted with moral universalism, which is the idea that moral ethics applies equally to all individuals regardless of distinguishing features such as culture, identity, nationality, etc, the most prominent example of which is the UN Declaration of Human Rights.
THS moral relativism.
Rd 4: Info Slide: In June 2016, the UK voted to leave the EU. This vote was not repeated in Scotland, which strongly expressed a preference to remain, and which has been used as a justification by the Scottish National Party to campaign for a second referendum on Scottish independence.
The UK’s only land border with an EU country is with the Republic of Ireland. This may result in some form of border controls along the border between Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland.
Irish nationalism is the belief that Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland should be united into a single sovereign state.
TH, as a nationalist politician from the Republic of Ireland, would campaign for Scottish independence.
Rd 5: TH opposes research into the genetics of sexual orientation (e.g. the search for a “gay gene”).
Semi Final: In post genocide states, THW prioritise teaching pre-conflict history above teaching the history of the conflict.
Pro-Am Final: Info-Slide: In December 2012, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) recieved a sizable donation from Coca-Cola. The New York chapter of the organisation joined industry leaders in lobbying against New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s proposed restrictions on the sale of sugary drinks. Minority neighbourhoods in New York suffer disproportionately from the impacts of obesity. The NAACP is the ‘oldest and boldest’ liberation organisation for African Americans.
THBT the NAACP should refuse donations from large corporations that do not actively further African American liberation.
Grand Final: Info Slide: In many jurisdictions, some corporations and other legal entities are considered ‘persons’ with protected rights, responsibilities, and standing to sue, or be sued, in court. This is known as legal or corporate personhood.
THW grant legal personhood to major ecological entities (eg. the Amazon rainforest, the Great Barrier Reef etc.).
Rd 1: THR the societal expectation to go to University.
Rd 2: In post conflict societies, this house would recruit rebel soldiers into the army.
Rd 3: TH prefers the use of government subsidies to economically inefficient businesses over additional education funding in deprived areas.
Semi- Final: THR the rise of sports based around female sexuality e.g. pole fitness, zumba and cheerleading.
Final: When a dominant political party consistently achieves majorities with weak opposition, THW break up that dominant political party eg South African ANC and the UK conservative party.